Saturday, April 09, 2011

Elvis Andrus Interview

Before the season started, I was able to conduct a brief interview with Rangers shortstop Elvis Andrus.

Me: Is there anything specific you’ve been working on in the off-season and, if so, what is it?

Elvis: My body. I want to be in shape the whole season.

Me: What is the biggest adjustment you had to make when you started facing major-league pitchers?

Elvis: Trying to swing at strikes and be ready.

Me: Out of all the minor league stadiums you’ve played in, what was your favorite and why?

Elvis: Myrtle Beach because it’s pretty all around.

Me: What ballpark is your favorite to play in throughout the majors and why (not including the Rangers)?

Elvis: Fenway Park for the history of the ballpark.

Me: What were your favorite parts of the All-Star game and the activities around the game last year?

Elvis: I think the red carpet. You felt like a movie star (laughs).

Me: In 2009, when you were named to the Sally League All-Star team, were you happy to be on the team, or would you rather have had the days off?

Elvis: You’re always happy when you get the call for an All-Star game.

Me: Which Futures Game did you enjoy more, 2007 or 2008, and why?

Elvis: 2008 because it was the last year of the old Yankee Stadium.

Me: Do you think being so young made it harder or easier to adjust to major league life?

Elvis: It depends. For me, it was easy because all my teammates and family helped me out every day.

Me: What is the Arizona Fall League like? Are there many fans? What’s the overall experience like?

Elvis: It’s a great league to grow as a player. Nope, there's no fans and the whole experience is great.

Me: Who are the three toughest pitchers you’ve faced and why?

Elvis: Felix Hernandez, Tim Lincecum and Erik Bedard, because they’re tough.

Me: Who are your three favorite teammates since you joined the Rangers organization and why?

Elvis: Ian (Kinsler), Michael (Young) and Nelson (Cruz) because they helped me out every day and they’re always there for me.

Me: What adjustments did you make in 2007 after you were traded, as you hit .244 before the trade, and .300 after it?

Elvis: I think the desire to play soon in the bigs.

Me: What’s been the best game so far of your professional career and why?

Elvis: Game 5 against Tampa Bay because it was the key game for the team.

Me: What is the toughest thing about major league life and why?

Elvis: The consistence every day on and off the field.

Me: What is the worst injury you’ve ever had and why?

Elvis: I broke my finger in Double-A Frisco. Because I love to play, not to watch.

Me: What sports did you play growing up and which were you best at?

Elvis: Soccer. I just love it.

Me: What was your favorite team growing up and why?

Elvis: The Indians because my idol was there - Omar Vizquel.

Me: What are your hobbies?

Elvis: Music and keeping myself happy.

I would like to thank Elvis for giving me some of his time and agreeing to do this interview.

No comments: