Saturday, March 29, 2014

Hanser Alberto Scouting Report

I was able to watch Hanser Alberto take some batting practice a couple weeks ago in Surprise, and here is what I saw:

Alberto is more known for his defense than his hitting ability, and there is definitely a reason for that. While his swing is good and overall pretty short and compact, his bat speed is below average, which will make him very vulnerable to inside fastballs. He also has very average wrist quickness, so he doesn't make up for his lack of bat speed with his wrists.

I have a hard time seeing him develop much of a hit tool or much pop. He will need to develop an very advanced approach at the plate for him to be able to provide much offensively. I plan to go to a couple games in Myrtle Beach this year, and if he gets moved up to Frisco, where he was last year, I will definitely get a look at him there so I can see him defensively, but it will take some serious plus plus defense for me to believe in him developing into a ML-caliber player.

No comments: