Thursday, March 13, 2014

Yeyson Yrizarri Scouting Report

I was able to watch Yeyson Yrizarri take some batting practice during this mornings workouts, and here is what I saw:

Many of you may not know this name. He is a 16-year-old shortstop prospect the Rangers signed out of the Dominican last year for $1.35 million.

While Yrizarri is known for having a quick bat, I saw his bat speed as just slightly above average. What I saw as his biggest asset is his very quick wrists. He has a good swing that doesn't have much wasted motion. He is also known for having a good arm although I have not been able to see him throw to this point. At 16 years old, it is too early to start making career projections, but he definitely has the ability to be a ML player down the line, and his quick wrists can make him a quality hitter as he adds strength.

EDIT: I was able to see him take some grounders a couple days after I wrote this report, and here is what I saw defensively:

Yrizzari definitely has a very strong arm, and that should really develop into a plus tool for him as he ages. However, he showed poor hands, fumbling multiple softly hit balls, and really struggling to field groundballs backhanded. I question his ability to stay at short, but he definitely has the arm to stay on the left side of the infield.

No comments: