Saturday, September 02, 2006

August Awards

This week I will be giving out my awards if the season were to end now.

Rangers MVP:
Michael Young: .307 AVG, 12 HR, 86 RBI
Runner-up: Gary Matthews, Jr.
Last month: 1st – Gary Matthews, Jr., 2nd – Michael YoungRangers

Cy Young:
Vicente Padilla: 13-8 W-L, 4.16 ERA, 164.1 IP, 129 SO
Runner-up: Akinori Otsuka
Last month: 1st – Vicente Padilla, 2nd – Akinori Otsuka

Rangers Rookie of the Year:
Ian Kinsler: .289 AVG, 9 HR, 43 RBI
Runner-up: Wes Littleton
Last month: 1st – Ian Kinsler, 2nd – John Koronka

Jermaine Dye: .331 AVG, 39 HR, 107 RBI
Runner-up: Paul Konerko
Last month: 1st – Jim Thome, 2nd – David Ortiz

AL Cy Young:
Chien-Ming Wang: 16-5 W-L, 3.66 ERA, 187 IP, 62 SO
Runner-up: Barry Zito
Last month: 1st – Roy Halladay, 2nd – Johan Santana

Carlos Beltran: .286 AVG, 39 HR, 112 RBI
Runner-up: Albert Pujols
Last month: 1st – David Wright, 2nd – Lance Berkman

NL Cy Young:
Brad Penny: 14-7 W-L, 3.88 ERA, 160 IP, 120 SO
Runner-up: Chris Carpenter
Last month: 1st – Brad Penny, 2nd – Tom Glavine

Come back next week for analysis of recent Rangers trades.


Kevin said...

How can you say Wang is the Cy Young winner over Johan Santana? Santana has the same record (16-5), a better ERA (2.95), and about a zillion more K's (207).

grantlovesbaseball said...

I say Wang because he actually is in the playoffs unlike Santana.

grantlovesbaseball said...

Also, I do it as if the season was to end right now.

Ken Pittman said...

Good picks Grant. A few of the guys you picked are really hot right now and may cool off a bit before the end of the season, but if the season were to end today I think many of your picks would win. Wang vs. Santana is an interesting argument. There are good reasons for both.

David said...

Hi Grant. Very good article. You made some controversial picks that I know had some good reasoning behind them. Wang is definitely a tough one. I think I'd probably pick Santana over Wang, but Wang has definitely surprised this year. I also have to go with Carpenter over Penny, although Penny has been a big factor in LA's resugence. The MVP races are going to be a toss-up. For the AL, I'd list Jeter as a strong candidate for his fielding and leadership as well as for the big market he plays in. For the NL, if Philly makes the playoffs, I think Howard may take over first from Beltran.

Jaffe said...

Hey, I recently added a news widget from to my blog. It shows the latest news, and just took a copy and paste to implement. Might interest you too.