Saturday, June 16, 2007

Draft Analysis and Melhuse Trade

I just got back from a vacation in Myrtle Beach so am posting for the first time this month. My grandparents have a condo in Myrtle Beach and we go there every year. We had a great trip which included one baseball game. We saw the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (an Atlanta Braves class high-A team) play the Lynchburg Hillcats (Pittsburgh Pirates) and beat them 5-3. The Pelicans were down 3-2 but scored three runs in the bottom of the 8th to get the win.

If you’re interested in reading any of my past interviews, I’ve created links to all of them on the left-hand side of my blog, under the Rangers Links section.

This week I will provide information on the Rangers top 5 draft picks and analyze the Adam Melhuse trade.

Earlier this month, the Rangers had their 2007 draft. Here are the Rangers’ first 5 picks, along with their scouting information.

Blake Beaven SP:
Beaven has a great fastball that goes up to 96 MPH, but a below average slider and change-up. He’s got good control and is good in pressure situations. Also, he beat Cuba in Cuba for Team USA last summer.

Michael Main SP, OF:
Michael’s fastball gets up on you quick and he can control it pretty well. His slider is more like a great slurve and he’s got a great change-up. He also has pretty good control.

Julio Borbon OF:
Borbon has good bat control and is more of a singles and doubles guy. He’s very fast and has great baserunning skills going 34-43 in stolen bases in his college career. He has a below average arm, but great range and great fielding skills. He’s also got a great instinct. Julio is kind of like Kenny Lofton and Johnny Damon.

Neil Ramirez SP:
Neil’s fastball, like Blake’s reaches 96 MPH. He’s also got a great curveball, but a below average change-up. Neil has average control.

Tommy Hunter SP:Tommy has an average fastball along with a below average change-up, slider, and control.

I think all of these players have good potential except for Tommy Hunter.


The Rangers traded future considerations to the A’s for Adam Melhuse on June 9th.

Adam Melhuse:
Adam is a good back-up catcher who could be a starter with a weak catching team or an a team with an injury to the starting catcher. He’s got good power for a catcher and 1 out of every 2 ½ hits is for extra bases.

Career:
.241 AVG
23 HR
90 RBI
276 G
643 AB
1 SB

Adam first appeared in the major leagues in 2000 for the Rockies. He has also appeared with the Dodgers and the A’s.

Adam Melhuse is a good back-up catcher and is definitely worth future considerations. He’s a big upgrade from Chris Stewart and if we end up giving the A’s anything at all, it will be very little.

Grade: A+


Results of last week’s poll:
Question: What do you think Kameron's long-term role with the team should be?
Bullpen: 51%
Starter: 32%
Set-up: 15%
Closer: 1%

Come back next week for an analysis of the Rangers minor league teams’ first half.

3 comments:

Ken Pittman said...

Good blog, Grant. Glad you had a great trip to Myrtle Beach. And GREAT idea on putting links to all your interviews.

For your poll this week, I voted Main because I think he has excellent potential. It's pretty close between him and Beaven, but Main was a bigger steal where he was picked.

Ramirez would be my third choice, although I don't blame the Rangers for picking Borbon where they did. My main concern with Borbon is he padded his stats against weak competition - so it's hard to get a great idea of how good he really is.

But I'd be happy if any one of the 5 became a very successful Ranger in the future.

GO RANGERS!
Ken

Lynn Leaming said...

Grant,
Glad you all had a nice vacation to Mrytle Beach. I have never been on the east coast, only the west coast. But my favorite place to spend time is near the ocean or a river. I like to listen to the sound of the water. I am glad ya'll returned safely and hope you have a great summer!

Grant Schiller said...

Hi Ken and Ms. Lynn,

Thanks for leaving comments. It was my dad's idea to link the interviews. I chose Beaven because I think he'll be more like a Jamie Moyer, good throughout his whole career.

My favorite place to go is the ballpark, but I like the beach, too. Myrtle is the best beach I've been to.

Grant