This is part 6 of an analysis of the trades Doug Melvin made while he was Rangers GM. This week I will cover the end of 2000. Each trade will be scored a win, loss, or tie. The score is based on how each player contributed to the Rangers at the major league level.
35. 7/19/00 - The Texas Rangers traded Esteban Loaiza to the Toronto Blue Jays for Darwin Cubillan and Michael Young.
Win – Esteban has only had 1 good year since the trade and he had no good years for the Blue Jays. His records for his three Blue Jay years were 5-7, 11-11, and 9-10, never getting 200 innings in a year as a Blue Jay. Darwin Cubillan only has 70 career innings pitched and only 17.2 as a Ranger. But Michael Young has done incredibly well for the Rangers, becoming only the third player to have 200 hits for five straight years since 1940. He has hit above .305 all 5 of those years. He has also had one 100 RBI season and two 20-90 seasons (HR-RBI). Also, he has won the batting title, has been All-Star game MVP and has set the Rangers record for most single-season hits.
36. 7/28/00 - The Cleveland Indians traded Ricky Ledee to the Texas Rangers for David Segui.
Loss – Ricky Ledee struggled for his 1 and a half years that he played here batting .235 and then .231 while David Segui had a couple of good platoon years after the trade. He hit .332 and then .301 with 46 RBI both years.
37. 8/4/00 - The Texas Rangers traded Dave Martinez to the Toronto Blue Jays for a player to be named later. The Toronto Blue Jays sent Peter Munro (August 8, 2000) to the Texas Rangers to complete the trade.
Loss – Dave had two more good years in him batting .311 and .287 but his power numbers were nothing with 2 homers both years and just about 20 RBI both years. Peter Munro never even played for the Rangers.
38. 11/17/00 - The Oakland Athletics traded Randy Velarde to the Texas Rangers for Aaron Harang and Ryan Cullen (minors).
Loss – Randy Velarde only played half a year for the Rangers batting .297 with 9 HR and 31 RBI’s, but half a year isn’t worth Harang. Aaron has had an ERA in the 3.00’s for three straight years, has gotten 16 straight wins for two straight years, has pitched 230 innings for two straight years, has gotten 215 strikeouts for two straight years, and his WHIP has been under 1.3 for three straight years. And he’s done all this with Cincinnati.
39. 12/14/00 - The Chicago White Sox traded Aaron Myette and Brian Schmack to the Texas Rangers for Royce Clayton.
Loss – Royce Clayton has had 6 decent years since the trade while Brian Schmack never played for us and Aaron Myette’s ERA for the two years he was here were 7.14 and 10.06. We needed to trade Clayton because of the A-Rod signing but we could have gotten more for him.
40. 12/15/00 - The Detroit Tigers traded Brandon Villafuerte and Kevin Mobley (minors) to the Texas Rangers for Matt Perisho.
Loss - Brandon Villafuerte pitched 6 games for us with a 14.29 ERA. Kevin Mobley never played in the majors while Matt Perisho had one decent year for the Marlins with a 4.40 ERA and one great year for the Marlins with a 1.93 ERA.
Results of last weeks poll:
Who do you think will win the World Series?
Red Sox – 52%
Rockies – 22%
Indians – 15%
D’Backs – 11%
Come back next week for my World Series prediction.