Saturday, November 01, 2008

World Series Recap and Free Agent Report

This week I will give my World Series awards and give a free agency report.

Awards:
Game 1 MVP: Cole Hamels, PHI: W, 7 IP, 2 ER
Runner-up: Chase Utley, PHI

Game 2 MVP: James Shields, TB: W, 5.2 IP, 0 ER
Runner-up: BJ Upton, TB

Game 3 MVP: Carlos Ruiz, PHI: 2-for-3, 1 BB, 1 HR, 2 RBI’s, walk-off single
Runner-up: Jamie Moyer, PHI

Game 4 MVP: Ryan Howard, PHI: 3-for-5, 2 HR’s, 5 RBI’s
Runner-up: Joe Blanton, PHI

Game 5 MVP: Jason Werth, PHI: 2-for-3, 2 BB, 1 RBI
Runner-up: Cole Hamels, PHI

World Series MVP: Jason Werth, PHI: .444 AVG, 1 HR, 3 RBI’s, 6 BB: Jason had a .444 batting average and six walks on top of that. He played incredible and should have been the MVP.
Runner-up: Cole Hamels, PHI

Free Agent Report: Top 3 at each position (next week will be bigger)
* = option and will probably not go to free agency

1B:
* Carlos Delgado, NYM
* Jason Giambi, NYY

Mark Teixeira, LAA: I think that he will test the market, the Angels will outbid everyone else, and Teixeira will stay in Anaheim with a huge contract.

Kevin Millar, BAL: I think that Kevin will either start for a team that will have a really bad record, or be a back-up for a good or decent team.

Nomar Garciaparra, LAD: I think that Nomar will have a contract for very little money where he will have to earn his way onto the team with a minor league contract and a spring training invite.

2B:
Orlando Hudson, ARI: I think that Orlando will end up returning to Arizona, just because they need him so badly and should be willing to give him a lot of money.

Jeff Kent, LAD: I think that Kent will leave the Dodgers because he won’t be able to get the amount of playing time that he will want.

Marcus Giles, COL: I think that Marcus Giles will stay in the NL, but leave the Colorado Rockies and get a platoon/starting job somewhere else.

SS:
Rafael Furcal, LAD: I think that Furcal will return to the Dodgers because the Dodgers need him badly enough to give him the amount of money he asks for.

Orlando Cabrera, CWS: I think that the White Sox have the most legitimate starting job for him at the moment and that he will stay in Chicago.

Edgar Renteria, DET: Renteria sprobably won’t get too much money the way he played this year. He will almost certainly leave the Tigers.

3B:
* = Chipper Jones, ATL
* = Hank Blalock, TEX

Joe Crede, CWS: I think that Crede will stay with the White Sox because I don’t think that he will be able to get much money anywhere else.

Casey Blake, LAD: I think that Blake will go back to the AL because that’s where I think that he will be needed most.

Morgan Ensberg, NYY: I think that Ensberg will leave New York because he really isn’t needed there and will be needed more somewhere else.

OF:
* = Carl Crawford, TB

Manny Ramirez, LAD: I think that this will be a complete bidding contest and I also think that the Dodgers will eventually get Manny because he was their team the second half of the season and if it weren’t for him they would not have made the playoffs, much less the NLCS.

Pat Burrell, PHI: I think that Pat will end up staying in Philly because he was such a big part of the World Series team and a big reason why they got there.

Bobby Abreu, NYY: I think that Bobby will stay in New York because they will be willing to pay the money to keep him.

Adam Dunn, ARI: I think that he will stay in Arizona because the D’Backs will need to keep him if they’re going to outplay the Dodgers.

C:
Ivan Rodriguez, NYY: I think that Pudge won’t get too much of an opportunity and will in turn retire.

Jason Varitek, BOS: Jason had a poor year so I think that the only way Boston keeps him is out of respect. But I predict he will end up somewhere else.

SP:
* = Rich Harden, CHC

Derek Lowe, LAD: I think that Derek will go to the Yankees because that will be where he should get the most money.

Ryan Dempster, CHC: I think that he will stay in Chicago because they need him too badly to let him go.

Mike Mussina, NYY: I think that Mike will stay a Yankee for the rest of his career.

RP:
Brian Fuentes, COL: I think that he will go to the Yankees because I think that they will be desperate for pitching this offseason and will give Fuentes a lot of money.

Kerry Wood, CHC: I think that Wood will stay a Cub, but will have to earn the closer role.

K-ROD, LAA: I think that he will stay an Angel because the Angels can’t afford to lose the single-season saves record closer.

Results of last week’s poll:
Who do you think will win the World Series?
Phillies – 75%
Rays – 25%

Come back next week for a larger edition of the free agency special.

No comments: