Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Edwin Garcia Scouting Report

I was able to watch Edwin Garcia take some batting practice during the Rangers morning workouts today and here is what I saw:

I was not expecting anything from Garcia as I watched him this morning, but what he showed me surprised me. He flashed above average bat speed to go along with average hands as far as quickness goes, and a short compact swing. On top of being impressed with his batting today, I was able to watch a game in which he played in Myrtle Beach back in 2012 and was impressed with his glove and above average range at 2B.

Combining his above average bat speed and quick swing with above average range at 2B leads me to feel that he is one of the most underrated prospects in the Rangers system. Clearly he is blocked in the Rangers system by Andrus, Profar, and Odor in the middle infield, but it believe down the line Garcia has the ability to be a major league caliber utility guy with a ceiling of a low end ML starter if he is able to improve his plate discipline and patience at the plate (6.5 BB% last year at Myrtle Beach).

No comments: